Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies



It has been a week since super storm Sandy pounded and devastated so many people on the East Coast.  I can’t help but want to extend a helping hand to all of the folks in need.  It is heart wrenching to watch the television and see the images of destruction that so many have endured.  My company’s founder is matching the donations that each employee gives to the American Red Cross – that will be my initial outreach to help.  I believe the Red Cross is the best organization to bring immediate assistance to all in need. 



Last weekend I introduced my weekend series, Simply Sublime.  It will focus on recipes that are simple yet full of flavor without a million ingredients.  Sublime to me, means the melding of flavors which creates that “wow” factor for your senses.  While browsing through Pinterest, I came across this recipe for Lemon Sandwich Cookies from Bakers Royal. I became instantly inspired.  I was not quite in the mood for lemon but chocolate and espresso were on my mind.  With a few tweaks, I transformed it into my version of Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies. 


I used a piping bag to create the cookies.  It was quite a work out for my arms, so I am warning you now.  Smile. The dough is rather stiff and a bit of elbow grease is required. I just kept thinking about the end result and the beautiful cookies that would soon be.  They reminded me of something that the Queen of England might enjoy while sipping tea.  I love hosting tea parties and my next one needs to include both versions – a bit of lemon along with this chocolate espresso delight.

I sent the entire batch with my hubby the next day for his team to enjoy.  When he got home to report back, there was an overwhelming thumbs up. 


Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies

Makes 20 to 24 Cookies

Cookie

½ Cup Butter, softened
1/3 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Confectioner Sugar
1 Large Egg, plus one egg yolk
3 Tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder
1 ½ Cup Flour
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch

In an electric mixer, cream together the granulated and confectioner sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in egg and egg yolk until combined.  Next add the cocoa powder until well mixed.  Add the flour and cornstarch slowly until all is incorporated.

Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.  Pipe the dough in a circular motion working from the outside toward the center.  Should be about 1 ½ inches wide.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Remove and let cool on a wire rack.

Filling

4 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
¼ Cup Butter, softened
1 Cup Confectioner sugar
1 Tablespoon Instant Espresso Powder (Use a bit less if desired)

Beat the cream cheese and butter until combined.  Add the sugar and espresso powder and mix well.

Assembly

Spread about a teaspoon or two of filling on underside of chocolate cookie and place a second chocolate cookie bottom side down on top of filling.  Dust with powdered sugar if desired.  Keep in an air tight container to keep fresh.


17 comments:

  1. These sandwich cookies are simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound perfect, and they are beautiful! I love the swirls, even if they were a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful, Lisa! Love the flavor combo you chose! I couldn't decide which photo to pin {for future must make} reference, they are all so lovely! Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that you piped out the dough, it makes the cookies so festive! (Also, I really want to dive into that bowl of frosting with a spoon.) :D

    Thanks for the Red Cross link. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sublime indeed! These are amazing, and just gorgeous!

    It is terrible what our friends on the East Coast went through, and are still dealing with. We all need to help in anyway we can. Thank you for posting about resources :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You went above and beyond again piping your dough. They look so much more special this way. Loving the flavor combo, too. And that platter--so perfect for these elegant sandwich cookies!

    Again, so nice to catch up with you today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, Lisa! Anything with chocolate and espresso makes me a very happy girl. These are definitely going in my cookie recipe archives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, I can't believe the devastation Sandy had caused to the east coast. Your employer has a good social civic policy by matching per dollar contribution to Red Cross - truly commendable. Speaking of commendable, chocolate and coffee? A wonderful combo! I wanna sink my teeth in to these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you made them like butter cookies with a press only in chocolate so much better! I'm sure these would be a welcome treat anytime of day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that your company is doing that for Sandy victims. The victims will be needing our help for a long time. Beautiful cookies, Lisa. Love the chocolate and espresso.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, these cookies look absolutely beautiful! Chocolate and espresso are my absolute favourites, so I will definitely be adding this to my Christmas cookie list. Beautiful photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing....I love espresso anything....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Monday Lisa, we have a lot to be thankful for at this time and what a good way to celebrate with your 'simply sublime' chocolate espresso sandwich cookies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So simple and so elegant. I love the swirled cookie dough and sandwiching them with an espresso frosting sounds divine.
    We've send some donations to Salvation Army.
    we just saw at the news, starting tomorrow night the winds are coming back, already the temperatures dropped, this morning the temperature was 40 degresses :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies are truly sublime, I love the chocolate and espresso pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! Are these a soft cookie, or crunchy?

    ReplyDelete

It simply makes me smile when I receive a new comment and I look forward to hearing from you!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com